Who Should Apply
- You were born outside the United States to non-American parents
- You are not more than 38 years old
- You have five years of professional experience in music and possess a strong track record of creative and innovative work
Why Should You Apply
- Unrestricted cash prize of $50,000 is awarded to each prizewinner
- Reflect on how your experience as an immigrant has shaped your success
- Receive an invaluable endorsement from leaders in your field
- Receive a comprehensive public relations campaign to promote you and your work
- Have been born outside the United States of America to non-American parents.
- Not be more than 38 years old as of December 31, 2022 (born on or after January 1, 1984). Exceptions will be made for applicants who were born between January 1, 1982, and December 31, 1983 who experienced career interruptions due to caregiving, medical, military or parental leave.
- Have lived in the United States for at least four years (or immigrated to the United States on or before December 31, 2018).
- Be one of the following: a naturalized citizen or a permanent resident of the United States; a H-1B or O-1 visa holder with a valid visa stamp; a H-4 visa holder with a valid EAD card; a recipient of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) relief; an asylee or an asylum seeker who has applied for asylum and has a valid EAD card.
- Have at least five years of professional experience in music.
- Not be enrolled as a full-time student.
- Have released at least three singles or albums on major or independent labels.
- Have lived in the United States for a total of at least four years.
- Intend to pursue a career in the United States.
- Not be a past recipient of the Vilcek Prizes for Creative Promise in any category.
Application and Selection Process
- Complete the application process. You will be required to:
- Provide personal information.
- Upload a PDF of your CV with a history of performances and other professional activities.
- Upload a PDF with documentation of your valid immigration status and your date of birth.
- Provide URL links of up to five work samples that do not exceed 15 minutes in total.
- Provide up to five press clippings about your work.
- Complete three essay questions
- Please describe your most important projects. We are interested in learning about the intention behind each of those projects, your artistic foundations, and creative approaches you developed based on your personal or professional path. (2,000 characters max)
- What do you hope to achieve through your work and how do you think it contributes to the development of music as an art form? (2,000 characters max)
- Describe the circumstances of your immigration to the United States and how your experience as an immigrant informs and enriches your approach to music. (1,500 characters max)
- Provide the names and contact information of two references.
- Sign an age exception self-attestation if you were born between January 1, 1982, and December 31, 1983.
- Submit a completed application by 5:00pm EDT, June 10, 2022.
- A panel of distinguished jurors—members of the music community—will evaluate the applications based on their excellence, innovation, and impact. The Creative Promise Prizes will honor music professionals who exemplify excellence and creativity and whose work showcases the possibilities of music as a language and a means of expression. The individuals chosen will have demonstrated exceptional independence and creativity by their 38th birthday.
- Recommendations of the jury will be submitted to the Vilcek Foundation’s Board of Directors for final approval. All three winners will be considered equal in standing.
- The winners of the Creative Promise Prize in Music will be notified in fall 2022. Prizewinners will be invited to attend the Vilcek Foundation’s annual awards ceremony in New York City, in the spring of 2023. Travel expenses and accommodations will be covered by the foundation.